Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I installed a one piece keyless lamp holder in the ceiling.

Customer Question

I installed a one piece keyless lamp holder in the ceiling. It works, but will only give me 65 watts of light. When I put 75 watt bulb in ,it only gives me 65 watts of light. Why doesn't it give me more light.
Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How are you measuring the wattage that the lamp holder is consuming?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm measuring by sight. When I put a 100 watt bulb in the holder it does not give off bright light it gives me about 60 watts of light. When I put the 100 what bulb in a lamp it gives me bright 100 watts of light. Something is not right. Please help.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) It is possible that the internal resistance of the light bulb is not matching the wattage output due to a manufacturing flaw. It is also possible that there is a voltage drop due to a loose wire splice or termination. Keep in mind that the voltage from the circuit is constantly changing....ie...... 1 second voltage = 120 volts, a second later it changes to 115, another second later it changes to 123 volts, etc.

Watts Law states that P = I x E, where P = Watts, I = Current and E = Voltage. If the voltage fluctuates, so does the wattage output.

2) Visually looking at a light bulb does not determine the quantity of output lumens in a light bulb. Only an accurate light meter can measure lumen output on a lightbulb.

3) Not sure of the light bulb brand you are using, but cheap light bulbs may not provide the proper lumen output. I suggest switching over to a well known brand such as Sylvania or Philips or GE.

4) If measuring wattage output, then an amp probe or an amp meter and an AC voltmeter or a wattmeter is required.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) If there is a loose neutral termination or a loose neutral splice somewhere on the circuit, this can also cause a light bulb to dim less than normal and a voltage drop can be measured.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hired an electrician who installed a light kit, now it's fine. Thanks for your input.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Very good. No problem, glad to assist.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hired a lic electrician and the problem is solved. Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

What was the problem?