Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Trying to replace 3 speed fan switch on ceiling fan. I have

Customer Question

Trying to replace 3 speed fan switch on ceiling fan. I have black, grey, brown, & purple wires. How should I reconnect them?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. Switch has L, 1, 2, & 3 for connections.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

hi can you tell me what make and model fan you have ....................and if I am correct you are trying to replace the pull chain fan speed switch on the fan itself right ?

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Harbor Breeze 160501 & and yes I am replacing the 3-speed fan switch. I have connected blk to L, grey to 1, brown to 2, purple to 3. Pull chain will switch thru all 3 speeds but will not cut off?
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

I don't know what you mean by not cut off .....if you could expound upon that a little more ...........and is it a pull chain switch or a remote speed control?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a pull chain switch. The model is Harbor Breeze RB52-1 E89519. The pull chain allows me to select the 3 speeds, but it does not allow me to select OFF. In other words the fan blades will not stop turning on the 4th pull of the chain.
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

I am looking for a wiring diagram for that model now ............hopefully just a couple more minutes

Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

you have the black at L which is correct ..........any diagram I look at says purple to 3 ..............have you tried swapping out the gray and brown ?...... and just to make sure that you have the exact replacement switch

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That didn't work. Just forget it. You are no help. And DO NOT make a charge to my credit card!
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

I wont I didn't ask to be rated until I found you a solution ..........I will opt out so if you don't click any star rating you wont be charged any extra for my time here

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Your wire connections using blk to L, grey to 1, brown to 2, purple to 3 are common on many ceiling fans. However, it sounds like the replacement pull chain switch that you purchased is not identical to the original switch. Pull chain switches may look identical on the exterior, but the interior of the switch may have a different switching pattern and the pull chain won't work correctly as you have already discovered.

Refer to the attachment shown below:

2) If you purchased the replacement switch at Home Depot or Lowe's, a good chance the switch will not work as these stores only sell a very basic pull chain model which may not work on all fans.

3) I recommend that you contact Gulf Fans shown in the link below. Provide them with the model number of the fan and they can provide you with an identical pull chain replacement switch.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)