Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a panel with a main breaker, LL-5000. I need to

Customer Question

I have a panel with a main breaker, LL-5000. I need to replace one of the sub-breakers. I attempt to turn off the main breaker but handle does not turn it off. ? Is there a "safety" or other that is interfering with turning the breaker to the off position?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) No, there is not safety feature. It is possible that the main breaker is stuck. Try flipping the handle all the way to the ON position and then try flipping it back to the OFF position.

2) If that does not work, get a long handle screw driver and give the face of the main breaker a hard "wrap" using the screw driver handle to the face of the main and see if that frees it up to turn OFF the beaker.

3) FYI......it is recommended that all circuit breakers should be exercised a minimum of once per year. Turn all breakers to the OFF position and then back to the ON position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Then the main is stuck in the ON position and you will need to replace the main breaker in the panel. Main breakers are bolted onto the panel back plane usually with 2 hex head machine bolts. The service entrance hot wires need to be removed from the main breaker lugs. The only way to do this is to remove the outside meter.

2) In order to replace the main breaker, the exterior meter will need to be pulled from the meter socket to kill power to the panel. I suggest to contact a local licensed electrical contractor to perform this and replace the main. Within most electrical utilities, it is illegal and against the law for anyone other than the utility or a licensed electrician to pull the meter. Once the utility sees that the meter seal has been removed and broken, they will consider this as tampering with their meter and they may present you with a hefty fine. In addition, pulling the meter is not recommended for a homeowner to perform this due to safety reasons.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)