Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

The electrician ran 12-3 with a 50amp breaker to the garage

Customer Question

The electrician ran 12-3 with a 50amp breaker to the garage sub panel and I feel that wasn't right so I want to re-do it, or at least verify it's not incorrect. He said he does 12-3 all the time. Here's the details and what I think is correct, and the type of boxes he installed in the house and in the garage:I'm running from a Square D 60-Circuit 30-Space 200-Amp Main Breaker Load Center inside the house to an outside garage, the run will be in 2" conduit to a Square D 12-Circuit 6-Space 100-Amp Main Lug Load Center in the garage, and the run will be approximately 25 feet. What size breaker do I need and what size wire? I have 6-3 ordered and 2" CARLON conduit with appropriate fittings and connectors. Additionally, do I need a grounding rod at the garage, or will it use the ground in the house panel?My gut instincts tell me my electrical is wrong when he put in 12-3 wire to that garage box and attached it to a 50 amp breaker...
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Your instincts are correct. His installation is very dangerous.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

12 gauge wire is not rated for 50 amps. It's not even rated for half that amperage. It's rated at 20 amps.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Since you have ordered #6 wire, you can only connect it to a 60 amp breaker or smaller (assuming it's copper wire).

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You need 4 conductors between the two panels. If the enter distance between the panels will be piped in, you can easily add a ground wire, since you've ordered 6-3, especially in 2" conduit.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If the garage is detached from the house, you need a ground rod at the sub panel.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

In the sub panel, ground wires and neutral wires are to be on separate bars, not mixed on the same bar(s).