Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My dryer made a huge spark and popping sound and then went

Customer Question

My dryer made a huge spark and popping sound and then went dead. I reset the breaker and it did it again. I pulled everything out and found blank marks and melted metal from a spark. Is it a problem with the dryer or the outlet?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Have you tried un-plugging the dryer cord from the wall receptacle and resetting the breaker? Does the breaker still trip under a "no load" condition?

2) Is the dryer a gas or electric model? 120 or 240 volts?

3) Where were the arc marks located? At the cord plug or wall receptacle or at the dryer cord terminal block?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't try that, so I don't know of it would and can't do that until morning. Everyone else is asleep so I wouldn't know of it still sparked.
It's an electrical dryer.
And I sent a couple pictures of the cover plate and the cord but I believe it's the top two prongs closest to the cord that sparked and have the burn marks and melted metal.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, thanks for the replies. I did not receive any pictures.

1) If you can unplug the dryer tomorrow and reset the breaker, let me know if the breaker trips.

Just reply back to me tomorrow. I will be logged on the web site and we can take it from there. Sound like a plan?

In the meantime, have a good evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow.........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)