ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

There was a popping sound at the plug on on my magtag

Customer Question

There was a popping sound at the plug on on my magtag electric dryer and now it does not go on. Does it need a new fuse? the house fuses are fine when I checked for the dryer
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Hi Leslie, welcome to justanswer.com

I recommend the following:

1) Turn power to dryer Office

2) Unplug dryer cord, remove outlet cover and inspected outlet & male plug for damage including discoloration due to overheating.

3) Check voltage at outlet - should be ~230 volts across line 1 & line 2 and ~120 volts from each line to the neutral / ground

4) If you find any damage, let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just checked male plug. Black at top prong and black at flatter prong next to it.
Dryer will not go back on when plugged back in
I really do not want to pay for an electrician if I have to get a new dryer anyway.
No clue how to check voltage but nothing comes on anyway
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Without checking voltage with a meter it is not possible to know what happened. It is possible that the cord/plug developed a loose connection and that the dryer may be OK if the outlet and cord are replaced...a relatively cheap repair, much cheaper than replacing a good dryer.