green-owl
green-owl,
14666028

What would it take to adapt a CNG hybrid to export power? in

Customer Question

What would it take to adapt a CNG hybrid to export power? in other words what would be the main conversion steps and associated parts? Costs? Issues? Risks?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I mean electric power of course
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Hi John, welcome to justanswer.com

This would be an expensive proposition...much more costly than jut purchasing a CNG Generator and transfer switch.

But since that's not what you asked...I'm working on your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not surprised. Now change the initial optic from CNG hybrid cars to CNG hybrid school buses. That is what I really am interested in. More than $48 waiting if you can provide a comprehensive answer. Take your time and do it right please.f you had a CNG hybrid school bus from a rural fleet sitting in your shop in Upper Michigan, and had to convert it to power a very rural high school whenever that town suffered a major blizzard that cut utility power, what exactly would you have to do to the bus itself? Then how would the power coming from the bus(es) be channeled into the high school buildings?P.S. Do not make your answers public, please
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Assume that the buses in question are the New Flyer Excelsior shown here
http://www.newflyer.com/index/cngI dont know what their electrical output might be...John
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Interesting...will see what I can do and let you know. FYI, I know it's may be considered a big payout for the customer but the experts only get a portion of what you are charged, the site gets the rest.

John, the only way to not make my answers public it to offer additional services which when you accept, we can communicate privately.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pretty weak initial answer in all honesty, not even worth first paymentAre you working on this still?I would need more evidence of relevant knowhow to accept the extended offer
Expert:  ProGrade replied 9 months ago.

Thanks John, it's all pretty straight forward, though I like to look on the bright side I was afraid this is where we were going so I will opt out, let me know if you change your mind. Good luck with your project.

Expert:  green-owl replied 9 months ago.

Hi i can help you with that but it would be public. That said, nothing in that is patentable or secret.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ProGrade: You just opt out after a one sentence answer, saying it might be expensive, followed by another statement that it is easy, without any specifics? You told me nothing for $48. I consider it a waste of money...Sorry, but I have to give a very bad rating indeed. Very disappointing...Martin: thanks for stepping in, but before I commit say something about this situation that convinces me you know what you are doing, and can add value...John

I don't do live phone call. Only asynchronous message.

As for commiting, the site is not working like that. We commit our time by giving an answer (and follow up if needed to that answer until you are satisfied) and then you pay if you think it was worth it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Useless serviceAdios

Normally i would paste my answer here but i did not initially because you mentioned you wanted it to be private.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am fast concluding that all of you evade direct answers because you actually are not experts at all, which I say very publicly now

And you know that without wanting to discuss with me :) I was just asking for confirmation that you are ok with this being public. I can't help otherwise (you can always complain to the site management, i bothered them many time for the option to keep discussion private).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Martin, I am told you are on line nowIf so, pls call me at number shownThe importance of getting a straight, full answer trumps the privacy issue

As i mentioned earlier, i don't do call. I will start to say what i can on the matter of compressed natural gas and just ask for precision on that. First i don't have detail on the system you have in mind. Some are mechanically linked to the drive train, some go all electric before reaching the wheel. In the first case there is always a little alternator build in for electric subsystem but not much in therm of power.

To be able to get real electrical power (as i assume this is the kind of power you are interested in ) the two more efficient methodes are:

Using a turbine as the generator. The second one would be to use a fuel cell type of direct natural gas to electricity (some companie, as an example http://www.bloomenergy.com/ can sell you those thing). It work by using a ceramic surface really hot as a catalyst. GE is working on similar concept: http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/green-tech/fuel-cells/ge-claims-fuel-cell-breakthrough-starts-pilot-production

On the cheaper but less efficient methode, you can always use an explosion engine and put an alternator on the shaft, or do the same with a steam engine but i would then find it a waste of fuel because a steam engine could use fuel lot cheaper.

As far as using the already on board electricity generating part of a natural gas car, you can intercept the power at the alternator or next to the batteries but one will have to annalyse any charge regulator that may interfere with the wanted energy output and implement overload protection to not damage the car electronics.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** wish I could get a straight answer to the question as posed. I am aware of efficiency differences between sources, but was not asking about alternative sources, and have zero interest in turbines or fuel cells, so that part of the answer is not relevant. I am talking about hybrid engines that are all electric before reaching the drivetrain. I want to capture and divert that electric power, but am not sure how to harness its full potential through modifications (before the alternator, in the type of alternator, or before the battery?) and then secondary circuitry to create an output pathway from the point of interception. Pls elaborate on options to intercept, along with risks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is not really about cars, actually. Think CNG hybrid buses
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting, Martin