AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My son has a suspended flexible track system. Two of the

Customer Question

My name is***** son has a suspended flexible track system. Two of the lights we not working. I cleaned the contacts. While replacing them, the first one went on. While replacing the second, all the lights went out. My son heard a click from the direction of the transformer. There is power at the switch.What is the next step?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: maybe I can answer your questions. I am not at my son's house at the moment. I will be there later this afternoon. I didn't have my tester at with me last night. I have experience as a residential electrician. I have experience with regular track lighting but not the suspended. I just don't want to damage the transformer.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

What type of tester do you have available?

Can you access the switch wires?

Access the wiring at the transformer also?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was not able to answer the question to the electrician since I will not be at my son's house u til Tuesday, March 1st. My question has not been answered and I do not expect to be charged for an answer until I can have a conversation with him while I am at the site of the problem. I did not g ear from him until later the next evening after I asked my question.

Ok, post when information is available.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! Are you available Tuesday, March 1st approx 5:30pm CST?

I shall do my best to be here at that time, please understand we are independent electricians who run our own businesses or work for others and spend time here to assist.

If there is no time to wait on your end because of problems in my time, please feel free to relist the question and hopefully another expert will be online at the time to assist.

Hopefully nothing bars my time to be available here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I understand. Maybe you can guide me on what else to check and if we can't connect Tuesday, I can update you on what I find. I use a wiggy. There is power at the switch. I think I can access the transformer wires.
The transformer was in a metal box. The connections were not visable on the outside of the box. I didn't have my tools with me.l had given my son a wiggy but he wasn't sure where it was. The has been a death in my daughter-inlaw's family. They have bee out of town a lot, thus the reason for my lack of communication with you and why I have to schedule my time with them. Any thoughts on what the problem could be and what I should look for?

Well, first measure power at the switch, both on and off to verify 120 volts is getting out to the transformer.

Then measure at the transformer input for 120 volts, then the transformer output wires for 24 volts, which is most likely the system, but can be 12 volts. Check the transformer label and lamps for the exact voltage used

I believe the transformer most likely fried at the time but can be wrong and only a loose connection on the transformer and hence the pop noise when it disconnected.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great - thank you! I'll get back to you after I get to work on it Tuesday.

Very good, thanks