Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I had to move my electrical box ceiling heat and am not sure

Customer Question

I had to move my electrical box for my ceiling heat and am not sure how to reconnect the thermostat. I had to get a new thermostat at home depot. It has red and black wires on each end. (line 1 &2 Load 1&2.) Is this a thermostat I can use or does it need a special one. This is a line that continues to other heaters.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have connected all wires in the 220 circuit. I now have 2 white wires going to the ceiling heat. How do I connect them to the 220 line
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the ceiling heat is a 240 volt circuit, then a double pole T-Stat is required. If a 240 volt branch circuit, then the 2 LINE side connections are the 2 hot wires that extend from the double pole circuit breaker in the electrical panel. The 2 LOAD side connections are for the 2 wires that extend to the heater (LOAD). A T-Stat that contains 2 LINE and 2 LOAD terminations is a double pole stat and is the correct type to use for 240V heaters.

2) T-Stats are rated by amperage.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)