Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I'm a developer doing a new construction home and looking

Customer Question

I'm a developer doing a new construction home and looking for a per opening price from start to finish. I have 148 openings
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Doing a price comparision on what i can expect
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The "per opening" cost will vary widely across electrical contractors and the area that you will be building in. Other items that need to be taken into consideration is if the contractor is a union or non-union contractor. Also if the home will be wired using NM R

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Basic building code for city of Berwyn and the guys who have bid are small business owners and are non Union.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

1) The "per opening" cost will vary widely across electrical contractors and the area that you will be building in. Items taken into consideration are if the home will be wired using NM Romex cable or piped in EMT metal conduit.

2) Assuming NM Romex cable, an average "per opening" cost will be around the $65.00 price. This would not include any 240 volt circuits or 3-way or 4-way wall switches or any ceiling fans. This price would include standard type of wall switches and receptacles. If installing Decora type, add on another $5 for each device.

If installing EMT conduit, an average per opening price would be $80.00

3) Keep in mind that an opening is the device count and/or an empty junction or pull box. For example, a 2 gang wall switch box would be considered as 2 openings and not just 1 opening. A junction box that contains splices will be 1 opening. A pull box would also be considered as 1 opening.

4) A typical 100 or 200 amp service panel will range in price anywhere from $1500 to $2500. The panel/service cost will be in addition to the "per opening" cost. The cost can vary here depending if underground or overhead service and the quantity of AFCI circuit breakers that are required.

5) For any 240 volt circuits, I charge a minimum of $200 for the circuit plus another $75 per opening if the opening is very close to the electrical panel. The cost of a 240 volt circuit will be dependent upon the length of the circuit run, the circuit breaker amperage and the conductor sizes. Longer runs and higher amps will increase the price accordingly.

6) On vaulted ceilings, many contractors will increase the opening price by adding on another $10 or so due to the involved labor and the equipment required to reach higher ceilings.

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)