Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Some outlets are dead, how hard is it to have the wiring to

Customer Question

some outlets are dead, how hard is it to have the wiring to those outlets replaced?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: we recently had the main electric box replaced/changed to circuit breakers. we have some outlets that just dont work and a couple that overload and blow like the microwave blows the circuit if we use the bathroom outlet at the same time. I thin we just need to have new wiring run from the box to these outlets and the load redistributed.
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: no that is about it, I have been told they might have to tear out walls etc, which I dont get at all. seems like they could pull the old wiring out and replace with new.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your problem is usual when a microwave is installed. Most are connected to what was a circuit for a range hood. That would have been on a general lighting circuit that won't support the load of the appliance. You'll need to install a seperate circuit for the microwave.

Also take a sheet of paper per floor of the house, sketch the rooms, mark receptacle locations with an R and lights with an L. With help, flip breakers and put the breaker number next to the letter. You will now have a complete vision of the electrical system.