Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have an older Entec industrial fan in my bedroom and the

Customer Question

I have an older Entec industrial fan in my bedroom and the switch went out.I tried to look up info about the amp rating on the switch and online,but it seems they were mostly used back in the 80's when the house was built (1983).I need to know what amp rating switch should I get and will it make any difference if it doesn't have 5 speeds?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I never got an answer to this question,so I thought I'd try again.I have an older Entec industrial fan in my bedroom and the switch went out.I tried to look up info about the amp rating on the switch and online,but it seems they were mostly used back in the 80's when the house was built (1983).I need to know what amp rating switch should I get and will it make any difference if it doesn't have 5 speeds?
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 12 months ago.

Well, there are a couple things you could do:

-If you can't make out any rating info on the old switch, you could see on the fan motor itself if you can see any info on it.

-Or Bypass the switch, splice the wires together in the box, and read the current with an amp meter.

-If you can find a 10 or 15 amp rated switch, it will most likely be more than enough.

-There won't be a difference if it doesn't have 5 speeds, but the more control you have, the better.