Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Is it possible that a hot water heater and an electric

Customer Question

Is it possible that a hot water heater and an electric baseboard heater are on the same circuit. I live in a basement apartment of a raised ranch built in the sixties with some really bad wiring and faulty electrical and as I was asleep yesterday I awoke to a loud pop, now no heat or hot water. HELP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester and access to the breaker panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have access to the panel and I was just about to run to home depot to get a tester
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that's where I should start?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK. When you return open the panel and test every breaker hot to ground for 120V. Then test 2 pole breakers pole to pole for 240V. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll do that first. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay getting back to you..all the breakers seem to check out. I'll reassess after work on Monday. Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Take your time, no hurry.