Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a GE wall mount combination microwave/electric oven.

Customer Question

I have a GE wall mount combination microwave/electric oven. Both top and bottom elements will not heat up. I checked elements with a meter, and they are both fine. What to do next?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Check the breaker for 240V. Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Breaker is 240v. Just moved in 3 months ago, was working fine until a couple days ago
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

The next place to check is the junction box where they are powered. Be careful, you may have a bad connection and an exposed live wire.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
J BOX OK - power going through - microwave works fine, control panel seems OK, display works - I can set temps, set clean cycle and broill - then sensor just stays at actual of 100F / setting 350 never moves, elements don't heat.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

You need to test the connections. If you have heating element not working you may have lost one leg of the 240V. Your microwave is 120V and will still work because it is on the good leg and the neutral is good also.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK - then I need to call someone - J Box is running both fine, all goes to the appliance, something going on within the appliance, a limit switch or something I guess.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Very good.