NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I am trying to change the light bulb in an outdoor ceiling

Customer Question

I am trying to change the light bulb in an outdoor ceiling fixture. It appears to have a knob underneath that needs to be unscrewed, however when i turn it, it just turns freely. I suspect that the rod is turning freely along with the knob as I turn it. Any ideas on how I can remove the glass cover so I can change the bulb?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Can you upload a picture of the fixture for review?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure, it is mounted outside on my porch above the front door.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Looking at the picture, it appears that it may have a screw head on the upper edge. Can you see any screw heads around the upper edge. Most unusall for it to be stem affixed on an exterior fixture. If not the stem will detach on the base, keep turning it while pulling down.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no visible screws. I have tried unscrewing the cap many, many times while applying pressure pulling down hoping that it will unscrew but it seems to be having little effect.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

The only other thing you can try is to heat the knob with a propane torch to possibly break it free.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

Also try pulling down on the entire fixture, it may be spring held.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This did not fix the issue.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 9 months ago.

There's nothing more I can suggest so I 'll opt out. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. Please allow me a few moments to better assist you. Thanks

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I will try to help you. Here are a few things Ii would try myself if I had something similar. First, use a plier, pull it towards you and at the same time try to turn it. If that does not work then use the plier to pull it out and using your hand push the fixture up. See whether there is a little space between the fixture and the knob. If there is a little space then you could use something thin like snips or anything similar you have and try to keep the inside threaded piece not moving and at the same time try to unscrew the knob. The other thing I would try is use some DW40. Then try to turn it. Please let me know if it worked out. Good luck

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Hello again, I am following up to see if you tried what I suggested and how you did

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi I haven't had a chance to try your steps yet. I will let you know as soon as I can.
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good! Good luck!