Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a box whose layout I hope makes sense as I explain

Customer Question

I have a box whose layout I hope makes sense as I explain it. Based on the wire type, I'm guessing this had to be done during the War of 1812 at least!
Power goes from the breaker box to a 3-gang box by our front door. There is a 2-way switch for the outside light, and two 3-way switches, each of which operates it's own separate light. Power leaves this straightforward setup to power half the upstairs as well, although it isn't clear to me at which point in the circuit this occurs..
I replaced the switches, one of which had failed, but forgot to label the wires. Sadly, one of the lights now no longer operates as a 3-way switch.
Is the setup as described, where one whole bunch of circuits go through this box, up to code and, more to the point, a "good" idea? Can the layout be figured out, or does this require the services of an electrician?
Thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Hi David, welcome to justanswer.com

Though the circuit feeding such a large area would not meet current codes this was an acceptable practice in the early days.

Can you tell me what wires are connected to this switch? A picture may also be a big help. Thank you