Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Motor: 6K718 Dayton 1/4 hp split phase. Drum switch: Old

Customer Question

Motor: 6K718 Dayton 1/4 hp split phase. Drum switch: Old Furnas R44.
When I wired the drum switch to a similar split phase motor the start winding burnt out. When I wired the switch to the above motor, it started to smoke after a few seconds, but I shut it off in time to save the winding. The drum switch is wired according to the diagram for split phase motors (located inside the switch). All internal contacts look excellent with all internal connections correct. I used 4/18 AWG wire from switch to motor with separate ground wire. On the above motor I pulled off the two wires used for reversing from their push on posts in the motor and connected them to two of the wires in the 4/18 cable that goes from motor to switch and wired them up correctly. Is this correct, that is pulling off the wires from their push-on terminals and leading them to the switch? If all above is correct, why did one motor burn and the above motor try to?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 9 months ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Thanks for the information.

Please provide a picture of the motor nameplate for review, as Dayton doesnt publish much info and difficult to find online.

Picture of the drum switch nameplate and diagrams as well would be very helpful and should be able to get you going.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks anyway Tommy, but I solved the problem a week ago. More than a week ago, actually. Your reply is late and doesn't answer anything. The info I included in the question was sufficient for me to solve the problem; I think that it should have been for you as well. R44 drum switch info and diagrams are very available online. 1/4 hp split phase motor info is available from grainger, also online. I really think that you had all you needed. A hint though, if you are interested, if you follow the diagram for a split phase motor that is inside the R44 switch cover, that motor will burn. Also, the centrifugal switch is not the problem.
Regards, John