Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

The fuse kitchen keeps blowing
, nothing has changed,

Customer Question

The fuse for my kitchen keeps blowing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: nothing has changed, no new appliances
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: It has happened a few other times, but I had replaced the fuse and then it worked for a bit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What portion of the kitchen circuit is not working? Lighting or the kitchen countertop receptacles or both?

2) Does your main electrical panel contain individual fuses or circuit breakers? How many amps is the fuse or circuit breaker that is having the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wall where fridge, stove and microwave is plugged in
electrical panel has individual fuses. 15amp
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) Most likely the microwave is causing an overload on the circuit as these small appliances can easily consume 1500 watts or more. If the fridge compressor motor kicks in simultaneously while the microwave i running, then a good chance the fuse may blow. If any additional small appliances such as a coffee maker or electric blender are also simultaneously plugged into the same circuit, then even a higher probability the fuse will blow and overload.

2) Microwave ovens are always recommended to reside on their own dedicated circuit, preferably a 20 amp circuit.

3) A 15 amp circuit should not be loaded greater than 1,440 watts or 12 amps.

4) I recommend to temporarily relocate the microwave oven to another circuit and see if this circuit fuse still blows when the microwave is not connected there.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The previous expert is correct as far as the equipment you have on the circuit. You might try using a DETD fuse as a replacement and see if the circuit holds when in use.