ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have installed a four wire (black, red,, and ) power

Customer Question

I have installed a four wire (black, red, white, and green) power service from my breaker box to an outlet to provide 220 V to my stove. I have a two pole 40 amp breaker in the box and used 8 gauge wire. The power coming into the breaker box (black, red, white, and a bare ground) is hooked to two plates (red wire to one, black wire to the other, white at the common, and ground to the ground) - in typical fashion. In the breaker box, the wire from the new outlet has the white wire to the common bar, the green wire is to the ground, and the black and red wires are connected to the breaker. At the outlet, it is the same arrangement. At the outlet, I am getting 110 V at both the red and the black wire, but I am NOT getting 220 V. I am very confused. I live in Brooklyn, NY. Could the breaker be bad? Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you could provide.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Hi David, welcome to justanswer.com

Are you testing with your leads on the red & black? If so, test the output of the breaker. If you do not get 230 volts, can you post a picture of the panel with the cover off? Do you have a GE panel? Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I get 120 V when tested individually (to the neutral or ground), but I get 0.07 V when I test the red and the black together.

Great picture, thanks. Check across the red & black feeders at the top of the panel. Looks like you do not have proper voltage coming in. Let me know what you find. The breaker is correct & correctly installed. If you do not have the proper voltage coming in check the source that feeding that panel.

I received email notification that you replied again but cannot see your reply on the site. Please post your results again. Thank you

Please try replying here again, I am not seeing your results. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have discovered the problem - see the attached picture. It's time for an electrician.

Agreed, thanksad David