Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Wiring a Marathon electric motor. I want to operate off 120

Customer Question

wiring a Marathon electric motor. I want to operate off 120 volt Is Line 1 (red/blue/orange) the 120 volt line (black wire) and the Line 2 (black, white, yellow) the neutral (white wire)?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Motor is a marathon 3/4 hp. On the side of the motor there is a wiring diagram that shows a "low voltage" hookup as grouping the wire colours as listed above. It labels the inputs as Line 1 and Line 2. Rather than Line and Neutral. Just wondering if I am getting this correct?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Your instincts are correct. L1 would be for the 120 volt hot connection, and L2 would be for the neutral connection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you? Would you like me to stand by while you connect it and test it?