Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

In reading an to a ceiling fan control problem, it was

Customer Question

In reading an to a ceiling fan control problem, it was suggested that "But before installing a new switch, you definitely want to make sure the short is cleared at the fan.Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/electrical/490ov-uc-9050t-ceiling-fan-w-light-wall-remote.html#ixzz3ywTFPqeY
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Can you tell me how to clear a short at the fan?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with you fan.

your*

This just means that (if) there is a short condition at the fan you must remove the short... and in English :) This means a hot wire may be "leaking voltage" ie making contact with other wires or the fans chassis itself (which should be grounded). This can be fixed by making sure all electrical connections at the fan are secure and in order with no exposed copper on the neutral and hot conductors. You can inspect for arc flash burn marks, sometimes this is an smoking gun for a "short"

If all connections look good and you can find no obvious "short" the failure may be in the fan unit or the switch box that controls the fan.

I hope this information was helpful, please take a moment to rate me. This is how my company knows i did my best to help. :)