Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan I've connected the black

Customer Question

I'm trying to install a ceiling fan I've connected the black to black, white to white and green to green and I have a red wire which I connected to the blue wire. The light turns on but the fan doesn't. So I connected the red to the black and the fan works but the light doesn't. Can I connect the blue to the red and black?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Did you read my issue above?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Yes you can connect both black and blue fan wires to the red but I suggest looking in the switch box for an unconnected black wire. If there is, you can install a fan speed/light control and have separate control of the functions at the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no other black wire available. My other fan was working just fine connecting black to black, white to white, green to green and red to blue. But then the fan stopped working after 20 years and only the light worked. Why now that I connect it the same way it doesn't work?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Did you operate the pullchain switch on the fan? I had to ask.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?