Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I trying to install UtiliTech Timer TM-097-S. The wiring

Customer Question

My name is Buck. I trying to install UtiliTech Timer TM-097-S. The wiring instruction shows six wires going in. 1 ground, 2 neutral, 1 hot, 1 load. I only have three wires, 1 grd, 1hot, 1 neutral. When I wire the timer I get a flicker in the on position. What's up?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not much to give. My junction box has two light switches. I'm replacing the exterior switch with the timer.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Was the white (house wall box) wire originally connected to the previous wall switch or was the white wire spliced to a group of other white wires?

2) What type of wall switch are you replacing? Is it a single pole or a 3-way switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Single pole. 3 wires. Gnd, hot wire and neutrel.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

The Utilitech timer model TM-097 requires 2 white neutrals to reside inside the wall switch box. 1 white neutral is required from the circuit feed and the 2nd white neutral is required to extend out to the LOAD.

If your original switch was connected to 1 black and 1 white, the white is being used as the hot circuit feed and is not a neutral conductor.

In order to use this timer model, a portion of the circuit would need to be re-wired. Not worth it in my opinion as there are other timer manufacturers that don't require a neutral connection inside the wall switch box.

If you are interested in an easy timer replacement wiring where a neutral is not required, Intermatic manufactures a good timer switch and only the hot circuit feed and the switched loop wires are required, of which you already have in place.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Shown in the link below is an Intermatic timer that does not require a neutral connection. If your wall switch box does not contain a group of white neutrals that are spliced together, the TM-097 will not work correctly.

A white wire terminated to a single pole wall switch is not a neutral, it is being used as the hot wire connection to the switch.

I suggest installing an Intermatic model "ST01".

http://www.intermatic.com/en/products/timers/inwalltimers/electronic_timers/st01_series

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)