Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I'm ***** *****, in my basement I installed recessed lights

Customer Question

Hi I'm ***** *****, in my basement I installed recessed lights while remodeling after I hooked everything up all the lights worked (12 lights) they worked for 15 months, one day they all went out so I have a dimmer down in the basement that control the lights and a regular switch up stairs after checking things I replaced the dimmer switch and all the lights came on except 5 and they are not in a row any ideas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no power getting to 5 cans led bulbs are good
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to take some voltage measurements at a few of the can light splices?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

In order to troubleshoot and confirm voltages, you will need an AC voltmeter to determine if a loose hot or a loose neutral connection is causing the problem.

Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a neighbor or a friend? If not, you can purchase a voltmeter similar to the one shown in the link below at any Home Depot or Lowe's for around $25 or even less.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Digital-Multimeter-MT-1210/206304336

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok I will purchase a meter and contact you back
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

OK, very good. Just reply back to me here at this same question.

I will be logged on the website throughout the weekend and we can take it from there.........Thanks.............Kevin:)