ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I need help converting my overhead comm wires to on-grade

Customer Question

I need help converting my overhead comm wires to on-grade conduit. I plan on running service for just internet via coaxial wire, but want to size the conduit for ease of future expansion.Specifically, i need advice regarding the 40' conduit run from the pole to the house.I plan on running 1.5" pvc schedule 40 conduit from the pole to the house. It will run from the pole, along a brick wall (just above the ground), go underground from wall to house, then vertically to a junction box on the bottom of the house exterior siding. Pics can be attached if needed.My questions:1. How should the conduit end at the pole be terminated? Is a weatherhead necessary? or just terminate the conduit at a horizontal or vertical run? Is there a specified distance from the pole?
2. Is the 1.5" conduit size ok?
3. How should i terminate the house end? Junction box ok?
4. Please provide part numbers or home depot links for referenced parts.
5. Does the overall plan sound ok?
6. There are existing conduit pipes near the pole which terminate at a vertical cut end. Wouldnt water enter, and fill up conduit?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to www.justanswer.com

In answer to your questions:

1) A weatherhead is the accepted method of termination at a pole

2) 1 1/2 conduit is more than adequate for what you describe. I recommend adding pull strings for future additions

3) A junction box should be used

Overll, the plan sounds good.

Yes, the conduit you describe can fill with rainwater

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What part numbers would you suggest for the weather head, and junction box? Please provide part numbers or homedepot links.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How close to the pole does the weather head need to be?

I should have asked for clarification on the point "how close...". The conduit is normally strapped to the pole for support. It should be right up against the pole. Part numbers to follow. Thanks

Weatherhead - Model# ***** SKU 500239

JBOX - Model # ***** SKU 499979