Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a Hunter ceiling fan that won't shut off and

Customer Question

I have a Hunter ceiling fan that won't shut off and works by remote only. I've changed the battery multiple times and it still doesn't work. I've tried cutting the power to that part of the house and the fan keeps going. HELP!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Are there pullchain switches on the fan?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would it help if I send a picture of the fan?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Turn off the main breaker, open the canopy and disconnect the black wire. That will stop the fan. Reset your main to restore power to the house. Check the fan body for dip switches. When found verify the dip switches in the remote are set the same. After all that, let me know what happened.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There were no dip switches in the fan itself. I only have them in the remote. After checking all that and turning the fan back on, the fan now consistantly clicks and the fan barely moves. The click is coming from the housing receiver.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

From your description of the results I would think the receiver has failed and should be replaced. They are available at the link below or a replacement of the fan may be around the same costs.

http://WWW.eceilingfans.com