Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Can you insulate over a non ic rated recessed light can

Customer Question

can you insulate over a non ic rated recessed light can housing if you replace existing flouresent bulb with a led retro kit?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) No, if insulation is placed over a can light, the light must be rated as "IC rated" type. The light bulb type does not matter.

2) If using a "non IC" rated can light, then there must be a minimum of a 3" (three inch) clearance from any insulation and the can light housing. Insulation cannot be placed over the top of a "non-IC" rated can light.

3) Keep in mind that can lights whether "IC" or "non IC" rated have been tested by a third party testing lab such as UL. If not adhering to the correct type of can lighting fixture or maintaining the minimal clearances, this will void the UL listing of the can light and can also present a potential fire hazard.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Within the National Electrical Code (NEC), the recessed luminaire installation requirements specifically mentions LED luminaires in Article 410.116(B). Where LED luminaires are of the recessed type, they must be identified as “Type IC” — or have a clearance of 3 in. from thermal insulation.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)