Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My house is 60 years old. The fuse box needs to be replaced

Customer Question

My house is 60 years old. The fuse box needs to be replaced with a breaker box. Are permits required?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How complicated is this process? How much should I expect to pay to have this done?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, local municipalities will require an electrical permit prior to the start of any electrical construction. An inspection will also be required.

2) Most municipalities will only provide electrical permits to a licensed, bonded & insured electrical contractor. However, some have been known to allow a homeowner to perform a panel upgrade. I recommend to contact the local electrical inspector to find out the specific requirement in your area. Local electrical codes will always take precedence over the National Electrical Code (NEC).

3) Electrical permit fees typically average around $75. Some municipalities may charge a little more.

4) I also recommend that you contact the local electrical inspector and ask them if any special requirements will be required due to any local electrical codes. It is common practice that many municipalities will require AFCI circuit breakers when upgrading the panel. Some municipalities will also request that inter-communicated smoke alarms be installed in the home as well as carbon monoxide alarms.

5) A 100 amp service into a single family dwelling is minimum. Typical panel upgrade prices performed by a licensed electrician will range between $1500 to $2500. Pricing is dependent upon your location as well as if the existing electrical service is overhead or underground and if upgrading service to 100 or 200 amps or maintaining an existing 100 or 200 amp service. Arc Fault Circuit breakers can also increase the panel upgrade cost. If hiring a licensed electrical contractor, I recommend to obtain (3) three firm price quotes.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)