AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I HAVE A GRIZZLY 1HP MOTOR H5379, I WANT TO WIRE A(ON- OFF-

Customer Question

Customer: I HAVE A GRIZZLY 1HP MOTOR H5379, I WANT TO WIRE A(ON- OFF- ON) SWITCH TO ENABLE ME TO CHANGE MOTOR DIRECTION. I UNDERSTAND I NEED TO SWITCH WIRE #5 AND#6. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT THROUGH A SWITCH.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ITS FOR MY SANDER I BUILT
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

In order to use a motor for both directions, you need to install what is referenced as a reversing drum switch, which is designed with multiple contacts in order flip flop the connections on the motor on the fly.

It isnt possible with any standard switches unfortunately.

I can determine the possible the drum switches that would work and the appropriate wiring diagram.

Let me know and we can continue to get you going

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I won't need to switch the motor on the fly ,only after I have switched to the off position first, and after the motor has stopped.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what drum switch do you recommend and what's the wiring diagram for grizzly h5379 1 hp motor?

I recommend the drum switch below:

CLICK HERE

OR

CLICK HERE

Wiring diagram is below.

Any questions let me know,

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You recommended the" spring return "switch over the" position maintained why"? And what is the difference?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry quotes in wrong place.Ill try again...you recommended the "spring return switch" over the "position maintained",why? And what is the difference?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems to me" position maintained" is the correct one for my application. ... The switch needs to remain in what ever potion I leave it in.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can rate your advice but was waiting for an answer about the specific switch . You have not replied about my previous request. You sent me a diagram for a spring returned switchI need to know if that same diagram applies to a position maintained switch and does does that switch have a built in on off for power or does the middle position serve that purpose?