Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We have recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen. One of them

Customer Question

We have recessed ceiling lights in our kitchen. One of them erratically begins to flicker. Sometimes it doesn't. When the problem starts, it's usually when we turn them all on at the wall switch. We had an electrician look at it, and he said the bulb was just loose. After he said he'd tightened it, the problem persists. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A couple of possibilities as follows:

2) Turn the branch circuit breaker and the wall switch both to the OFF position. Remove the light bulb. Get a plastic knife or a wooden popsicle stick and slightly pull up on the middle tab inside the socket where the light bulb makes contact. The middle tab is the hot wire connection to the light bulb. It is possible that the tab may not be making proper contact with the light bulb tip.

3) The other possibility is a loose wire connection either at the can light that is flickering or at the next upstream can light. When lights flicker, this suggests a loose hot wire connection. An AC voltmeter can also confirm the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem, reply back and let me know how you make out.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)