Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am trying to install a new light fixture in my bathroom.

Customer Question

I am trying to install a new light fixture in my bathroom. When removing the old light fixture I first noticed the first wire I removed was white and attached to a white wire. I didn't pay attention to the other wires figuring they would match the new fixture wires. But when I went to connect them I found 2 white wires, one of them was twisted together with a red wire coming from the box. So now I'm confused. Did I actually see the white wire from the fixture connected to the white/red combo wire or the single white wire. Does the black wire on my new fixture get connected to the white/red combo wire? That's my guess but I don't want to mess up and start a fire or something.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Hi Connie, welcome to justanswer.com

Is there a black wire in the box? Is there a single white wire? Thanks