Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

The inverter is charging and discharging the battery with a

Customer Question

The inverter is charging and discharging the battery with a cycle of about 2 minutes, from -1 amp to +5 amps. Last night the battery declined to 94 percent capacity, at a rate as high as -5 amps. I have a Xantrec Trace model 4048: it and the lead-acid batteries are about 15 years old. It is set to "Sell" and has been working normally until a couple of weeks ago, when it discharged the battery until the red error light went on. Grid has been stable (I have a 220 volt supply to one of our circuit breakers, which is not involved with the solar system. I tried setting the max sell amps down to 1, but it still discharged the battery. Also, while I had bypassed the inverter for 2 days (because of these problems), the battery was gradually charged back up to 100% from the grid, presumably.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) You need to trash the 15 year old batteries and invest in new batteries. Your batteries have reached end-of-life around 6 years ago.

2) Batteries seldom reach 7 to 9 years even when properly maintained.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)