Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Every time I turn on the switch lights in my sons room the

Customer Question

Every time I turn on the switch for the lights in my sons room the breaker immediately trips. It will not let me flip the breaker back to the on position unless I turn off the switch in my sons room. Could this just be a breaker that has gone bad? We have lived in this house for 9 months and never had an issue with his room. We also have not added anything new as far as plug ins etc.. to his room.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like a short in the light fixture. Can you please shut the breaker off. take the light fixture down. if there are multiple wires in the box only disconnect the wire leads from fixture keep other splices as they are. cap off the wires that were connected to the light fixture ( remember or label which wires were connected to it). Then turn the breaker on. flip the switch on and tell m if it still trips the breaker.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am actually not at the house right now. I have never used this service before, will have to try back this afternoon when I am home and can try these things.
Expert:  Alex replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Let me know.