Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Randy! I am trying to install a combo light, exhaust and

Customer Question

Hi Randy! I am trying to install a combo light, exhaust and heat fan in my bathroom. The previous unit had 3 switches one for the light one for fan and one for heat.
The new unit has two sets of wires coming from it one set is red and white and another set is black blue and white. My wires from the ceiling going to the switch plates are red, black, white with a red stripe, solid white and a ground.
For the life of me I have nit been able to get them to connect??
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The set of wires( red & white) should be the heater leads. The other set are for the light and fan.

You mentioned that you have a pair of switches with a jumper installed between them. They are for the light and fan. The last switch is for the heater.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the red wire coming from the unit and the white are heater leads do the whites still have to attach?I have currently the red line from the unit to the white with pink stripe. The white line from the unit is attached to the other white cable from the light and fan and to the white wire.My black cable is attached to the black cable of the light fan and the blue cable is attached to the red wire from my ceiling.When I turn on the power switch one which has the red wire on top and a black on the bottom does nothing, switch two which has the black wire on top and black on the bottom connected to the third switch on the bottom does nothing, however if I turn on switch 2 with switch 3 that has the white wire with pink stripe and black wire connected to switch 2 the heat comes on but that is it.I am not sure what I am missing?The wiring diagram that is with the unit appears to want all three going into one switch which is confusing to me as well.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

The connection in the unit are as given previously. The diagram shows a single switch device with 3 switches on it. If you are connected at the unit as instructed and only the heat works, either the hot or the neutral is not correct at the switches. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? You'll need to check for voltage on the fan and light switches.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

If it would be easier to coach you on the phone, just accept the phone service offer.