Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Can I replace the 15 amp circuit breaker garage workshop

Customer Question

Can I replace the 15 amp circuit breaker for my garage workshop with a 20 amp breaker?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to be able to use power tools which draw more current (like my radial arm saw), WITHOUT having to run a new, separate circuit. The 15 amp breaker is tripping to easily.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A 15 amp circuit breaker can only be replaced with a 20 amp circuit breaker if the branch circuit conductors are 12 AWG copper. If the existing branch circuit conductors are 14 AWG copper, this will be considered as over-fusing if installing a 20 amp breaker and is a code violation as well as creating a potential fire hazard.

2) Minimum branch circuit conductor size for a 15 amp breaker = 14 AWG Copper

3) Minimum branch circuit conductor size for a 20 amp breaker = 12 AWG Copper

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reply to my email address: ***@******.***
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I just provided you with the answer in my original reply.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin....What guage wire would TYPICALLY be used on a circuit off a 15amp breaker? Home was built in 1987 (Florida). Would you GUESS it would be 12awg (so I could safely upgrade to a 20amp breaker).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS: If I get one more email from your system I think I'll scream !!! It's horrible! Bothering me EVERY DAY! Turn it off !!!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

I provided you with the required wire sizes on my 1st answer.

15 amp breaker requires 14 AWG copper

20 amp breaker requires 12 AWG copper

The only way to confirm the wire size on the breaker is to perform a visual inspection of the wire insulation as the wire size will be labeled.