Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I took off a ceiling plate to install a light fixture. There

Customer Question

I took off a ceiling plate to install a light fixture. There is a white, black, and red wire. I checked the wall switch and there is a red and black wire coming from the switch. The new light fixture has a black and white wire. How do I hook up these wires so that the switch works to turn on/off?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you have an AC voltmeter available, this can confirm which ceiling wire is the switched loop wire. However since the wall switch and the ceiling both contain a red wire, more than likely the red wire is being used as the switched loop conductor.

2) Spice the ceiling red wire to the light fixture black wire. Splice the ceiling white neutral to the light fixture white neutral.

If the switch works correctly, I then suggest to label the ceiling red wire as "switched loop". If in the future the light fixture ever needs to be replaced, you will now know the correct wire.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out............Thanks..............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What about the black wire in the celing?
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If the black wire is a single (lone) wire that is not spliced to any other wires, then cap it off with a plastic wire nut.

If the ceiling black wire is spliced to other wires and the red wire connection does not work, let me know as will then need to do some further testing.

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

How did you make out splicing the light fixture to the red ceiling wire?

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks................Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)