Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Sizing a 3 phase 120/240 volt generator. We have 2 5 hp

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is***** a 3 phase 120/240 volt generator. We have 2 5 hp motors. (15.2) amps. Will not start at same time but will rum together at times. I no we have a in rush to deal with and also some 120 volt loads such as a 1500 watt heater and a sump pump. Is for are lift station in town. Our local electrician said we need a 48kw ?? seems large but he said we need to cover LRA which is 90 amps. Don't these large generators have surge amps? What size do you suggest. Lift station has a 100 amp service
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just don't no if we are sizing generator correctly sir.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no I will pay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Customer welcome to justanswer.com

Do you know how much of a load the lift station service has on it? Is all of the load you mention on that service? Do you want any capacity for future loads? At first glance, I agree that a 48 kW may be a little overkill. With this additional info, we will see. Thank you