Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have two celing fans running on one main wire. They both

Customer Question

I have two celing fans running on one main wire. They both worked with separate switches for the lights. I recently installed a new fan to replace an older one. I can not get the fan to work. I have behind the light switches one hot line that comes down with a black, white, and bare wire, and two lines going up with the same wiring configuration. If you can please give me some advice on how to make this work I would appreciate it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Tell me how you connected the new fan, how many wires and their colors in the box and the number and colors of the fan wires?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The new fan had a white,black, and green wire. I connected the White to white, black to black, and green to bare.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Your new fan is wired with a common feed to the light and fan motor thru a remote receiver. That makes it dependant on one switch and you'll not have independent control from the existing switches.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can I some how make them both work? If the switches need to be eliminated that is ok
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

With the other fan being wired off 2 switches, the only thing you can do is install a universal remote in it. Put each fan on one switch and use them as an override to the remotes. That will give you operation but not together.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The new fan comes with a remote, is there anyway to wire it so that only one has a switch?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

The problem is that the old fan is operated by 2 switches. One for the light and one for the fan. Putting the new fan on either will make it operate either with the light or fan with the old fan. You can get a universal remote for the old fan, replace the new fan that doesn't have a remote or get a second new fan. Those are your options.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can get the remote...that is not a problem...once I purchas that how do I connect the wires behind the old switches after removing the switches?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.
Each switch will remain as they were originaly. Each fan will then be on its own switch and the functions will be via the remotes.