Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Thermostat on wall electric baseboard heater does not seem

Customer Question

Thermostat on wall for my electric baseboard heater does not seem to shut off it just gets very hot and all the room heaters are the same way so I must be doing something wrong
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Do you have a clamp meter? You need to check the amperage on the t-stat load wires while adjusting the setting to see if the t-stat is working. If you don't have one a 2 wire voltage tester will also work for testing the output.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have 2wires
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What setting
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Off it reads 0
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

If you only have a 2 wire t-stat and it turns off then it is working if it goes off at different positions depending on the tempature of the room. They do get warm in operation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where are the load wires? On the wall thermostat or on the baseboard heater?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

One wire is the Line, providing power and the other is the Load wire. The right way to wire the installation would have been to install a 2 pole t-stat. It would cut all power to the baseboard heaters as a disconnect. Your installation has hot wires in the heater no matter the position of the t-stat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I flipped breakers off removed wall t stat I'm looking at 2 red and 2 black wires these were installed in 1972 I will go down and flip breakers on
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

With a single pole t-stat, the load wires are in the heater and only one in the t-stat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These have double breakers. 2 pole I Guess?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

They should. The feed was installed at the heater and one leg was ran to the T-stat. Your t-stat only brakes one leg, thus leaving half the circuit live in the heater.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok where do I put the test leads
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Red wires 240 black wires 0 T-stat is off
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Having a single pole t-stat makes it necessary to put probes on the leads at the heater. Your reading is the result of the way it was installed, only breaking one wire at the t-stat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok gimme a second
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Between leads you should get either 240V or Zero, depending on the stat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
0
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Aannd
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still with me
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Still here. Zero with the t-stat set where? Turn it up and test again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At heater
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Yes, but the t-stat affects the voltage.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
240
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Now at heater
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

If it goes from Zero to 240V, the stat is working.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That being said. It just keeps getting hotter in the room it doesn't shut off
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't even have it set up to 50 and it's about 68 in here?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

There isn't more to say on the issue. Either there is or isn't voltage. No voltage, no heat.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is heat but after 20 minutes I wake up sweating and have to shut it off then after about an hour I wake up freezing and have to turn it on?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

That is a 2 pole t-stat. All t-stats for electric heat aren't that accurate. You should just turn it down a little and not off, until you get the temp you want.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I turn it on I just turn till I hear a click from the t-stat r u saying turn it up to 75 and see if it will shut it self off?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Make small adjustments until you get the setting that makes it comfortable.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have it on 70 let see what happens let me know when you are going off line. And I'll let you know if I start melting. Lol
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Set it less and less allowing the heaters to cool down. It will take some time to find the setting you want. Come back when you find it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's 80 in here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
t-stat is set on 70 it's now 85 so I slowly turned it down finally turned off at 50 so what does that mean?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

It means the t-stat at 50 is actually 70 room temp. There are factors that cause that. Placement of the stat in relation to inside or exterior walls, windows, placement in relation to heaters, design and quality of the stat. I think we have gone as far as necessary in answering your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what are the 2 adjusting screws an a wall thermostat for electric baseboard heater used for?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

There are many t-stats. I would need to know the make and model number to comment.