ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

How do I get my hardwired smoke detector to stop chirping-

Customer Question

how do I get my hardwired smoke detector to stop chirping- always this happens in the middle of the night!! It is a 521B
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 11 months ago.

If it has a battery backup, push the test/silence button and replace the battery with the manufacturers replacement battery.

Otherwise, the detector may be defective & need to be replaced.

I have experienced instances of cold air and moisture causing this symptom. If this is the case, replace with a different brand/model.

Detectors are supposed to be installed 3 feet from AC/Heat outlets and per manufacturers recommendation/instructions.

If detector has to be removed & continues to chirp, remove battery if applicable, then short terminals on the back of the detector. The device has a capacitor that can cause it to chirp until discharged.

Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, else, please rate my service before leaving the site. Thank you