Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have installed a ceilling fan with a light. The remote

Customer Question

Hi, I have installed a ceilling fan with a light. The remote control is able to control the fan but not the light: it always stays on. There is a transmitter into the fan (for the remote) and has 5 wires: black and white to connect with black and white that goes to the wall's switch and, white, black and blue to connect with same color coming from the fan/light. On the transmitter is says that the blue is for the light. Again, if I turn on the switch and use the remote, the fan is working (start and stop) but the light stays on, which is not practical to sleep. How can I have the light off and keep the fan on, with the remote ? I even tried changing the wall swith from a dimmer to a regular on/off and it doesn't change anything.
Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) I need more details as follows:

2) Please provide me with the ceiling fan manufacturer name and model number of the fan.

3) What type of wall switch do you have? A singe pole ON/OFF snap type of wall switch or do you have a hard-wired ceiling fan switch installed? If a ceiling fan wall switch is installed, please provide me the manufacturer name and model number?

4) Does the fan contain 2 separate pull chains?

5) Do you have an AC voltmeter available?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fan is an Hampton Bay and I donèt have the model number. There is no chain at all, it's working by remote control only. I don't have a voltmeter unfortunately and I have attached pics to show you my wall switch and the controller of the fan. Hope it helps
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the pics.

1) Looks like a 3 wire cable was installed at the switch instead of a 2 wire cable. In the switch box, it appears that the white wire is not connected? Or is the switch box white wire looped thru the box?

How many wires were originally connected to the dimmer switch? 2 or 3 wires?

2) At the ceiling box, how many house white wires do you have?

3) The only method to confirm if the ceiling remote is working correctly is to have an AC voltmeter available. Perhaps you can borrow a meter from a friend or a neighbor? If not, AC voltmeters can be purchased at any Home Depot or Lowe's for $25 or less.

4) At the receiver output.....ie........receiver side with 3 wires, the black to white (120 volts) with the remote transmitter ON is for the ceiling fan speeds. At the receiver output, blue to white (120 volts) with the remote transmitter ON is for the light kit. Blue to white on the receiver output side needs to be confirmed with a voltmeter.

5) A voltmeter can also confirm if you have 120 volts inside the light sockets.

6) Are the DIP switch settings in the receiver and transmitter matching?

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just got your emails. I'll check this out tomorrow night and let you know. Thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, very good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry' I had to travel for a few days. I'll be back in a week and I will work on this problem for sure and I will contact you then. Thanks for your patience
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

No problem, that is fine. Just reply back to me at this same question and let me know how things go and we can take it from there.

In the meantime, have a safe trip and a good evening. We'll catch up with you later.......Thanks..........Kevin:)