Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Code question:Residential home owner in state of Mich.

Customer Question

Code question:Residential home owner in state of Mich. requires underground service entrance pvc conduit to be schedule 80. For a overhead service drop, does schedule 40 pvc conduit meet the code?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Local electrical codes will always take precedence over the National Electrical Code. I suggest that you contact your local electrical inspector since requirements can widely vary within each municipality.

2) Most underground service entrances are allowed to be a direct burial cable. URD (Underground Residential Distribution) cable is most commonly installed without a conduit.

3) Many municipalities will require Rigid Metal Conduit (RMC) as the service riser mast. RMC is the most commonly installed and required service riser mast.

Even if PVC conduit is allowed as a service riser mast by local electrical codes, I doubt very much that the local Authority Having Jurisdiction will allow a Schedule 40, as that is thin wall PVC conduit.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)