ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Yesterday, outlets have gone dead in bathrooms and garage. I

Customer Question

Yesterday, outlets have gone dead in bathrooms and garage. I first checked the outside circuit breaker. It did not seem to be tripped. I then checked two ground-fault interrupters in the bathroom. I pushed in the reset button on both the interrupters, but nothing happened. I am now not sure what is wring with the dead outlets. We are having heavy rain in San Diego and wet. Did it contribute to the dead outlets? How could I tell if the interrupters are bad.
Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 11 months ago.

Hi Akio, welcome to justanswer.com

Moisture from any source can help increase the likelihood of nuisance or real tripping of GFCI Outlets & Breakers. The affected outlets could be fed from a GFCI located in the garage, outside, or from a GFCI Breaker. It is also possible that the dead outlets are due to a completely different issue such as a loose connection at an outlet. This can occur anywhere on the circuit but especially at receptacles that are wired using the back-wire method, that is, the wires are stripped then pushed into back wire terminals on the rear of the outlet. This is legal but it is better to use the screw terminals on the sides of the outlets.

Check again for GFCI outlets & breakers that may have been overlooked. Once you are satisfied that there are no more GFCIs, start troubleshooting the circuit(s) at a dead outlet then work toward the panel looking for loose connections at each outlet. This is a slow tedious process but the only way to find the loose connection without expensive test equipment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and what you find. Thank you

Expert:  ProGrade replied 10 months ago.

Aiko, I am still waiting for the courtesy of a reply. Please rate my service before leaving the site and let me know if you have any questions and what you find.