Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Replacing Hunter 3 way switch. Black wire tests hot. Tried

Customer Question

Replacing Hunter 3 way switch. Black wire tests hot. Tried touching other 3wires. No motion from fan. Help!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the 3 speed pull chain switch an exact replacement switch or was it purchased as a generic switch from Home Depot or Lowe's?

2) Did you label the wires prior to disconnecting them from the original switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lowes Harbor Breeze. Labeled wires
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fan was running on fast only prior to removing switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

1) A high probability that the replacement switch you purchased will not work. The big box stores only stock a very generic pull chain switch. It is always recommended to obtain an exact replacement switch. Reason being is that the fan manufacturers use a variety of pull chain switches on the fans and many of them have different internal switching patterns. Thus, 90% of the time, the replacement switches purchased at Depot or Lowe's don't work.

2) I recommend that you contact the web site shown in the link below. Provide them with the manufacturer name and model number of the fan and they should be able to set you up with a correct replacement.

http://eceilingfans.com/switches_-_pull_chain_-_ceilin.html

3) It is also possible that the fan capacitor is defective and may need replacement. The fan capacitor also controls the fan motor speed. The capacitor must also be an identical replacement or very close in terms of it's micro-farad (uF) rating. The web site company also sells replacement caps.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it a shot
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately, this is a very common problem with the various ceiling fan manufacturers. For whatever the reason, they all seem to use different switches and they don't have a standard replacement part.

Some manufacturers such as Hampton Bay sell particular fan models that are manufactured by 3 separate companies in China and they all use different pull chain switches. Very frustrating for sure trying to locate replacement parts.

The company I provided on the link is probably one of the best resources for ceiling fan replacement parts.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)