Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am selling my house of 23 years built by Weekly in the

Customer Question

I am selling my house of 23 years built by David Weekly in the Woodlands Texas. The potential buyer had a standard inspection done. One finding said "Gas and hot/cold water lines are not properly bonded near water heater. Does not appear to comply with most recent electrical code." The report shows a picture of a hot water heater with a wire connecting the hot and cold water lines and then the gas supply line. On the Cold water side another ground on bond wire to GES. I have owned a number of homes and never seen a bond or ground wire like this? What does GES stand for and is this really NAT. ELectric code?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes, if the H20 heater tank is a gas type with black gas metal pipe supply and the plumbing supply pipes are metal (typically copper), all (3) three metal; pipes (hot, cold & gas) are required to be bonded together at the hot water heater with (1) one contiguous copper Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) using 3 separate ground clamps.

2) Yes, this is required in the National Electrical Code under Article 250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel.

3) The GEC bonding jumper at the hot water heater is sized according to the main service amps. If the service to the home is 100 amps, then an 8 AWG Copper wire is used. If the service to the home is a 200 amp, then a 4 AWG Copper wire is used.

4) GES = Grounding Electrode System. The GES is the grounding system in a building for exterior ground rods, bonding at the hot water heater and bonding a ground at the cold metal pipe water supply to the street side of the water meter (if metal piping) and then jumpered back across the meter. The conductors that are connected to the ground rod, neutral bus bar, hot water heater metal piping and cold water city supply metal piping are all called Grounding Electrode Conductors.

5) The above grounding requirements have existed within the National Electrical Code for many years. Although keep in mind, that your local electrical codes can always over ride the NEC and the water heater bonding may not have been a local electrical code requirement in your municipality at the time of construction.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Shown in the illustration below is how a gas hot water heater with metal gas and metal water supply lines are bonded.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)