Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Trying to connect to recessed lighting to a single pole

Customer Question

Trying to connect to recessed lighting to a single pole switch. I have performed this seemly simple hook-up many times, however, what ever I have tried was unsuccessful. When I touched power line to ground, the lights worked. Puzzled!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What kind of switch do you have installed? A Single Pole ON/OFF Snap switch or a Single Pole dimmer switch?

2) Is the wall switch a new install or was the switch previously working correctly?

3) Does the circuit feed (hot & neutral) originate in the switch box or at one of the can lights?

4) What is the wiring scheme? NM Romex cable or other?

5) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to take a few voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1) Single pole
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the confirmation but I also need the other questions answered?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Single pole. Previosly working. Not sure about where source originates. Had work performed kitchen by someone. Lights worked, but, when i went to put simple dimmer switch in, problem began. Romex. 120v on one black line coming into box.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, Thanks for confirming.

1) Do you have an AC voltmeter? You need to confirm voltage into and out of the dimmer as well as at the 1st can light.

2) How many Romex cables are at 1st can light? 2 cables?

3) How many can lights do you have?

4) Try by-passing the dimmer and remove it. Temporarily splice the hot circuit feed into the dimmer and splice the switched loop extending out from the dimmer to the 1st can light?

Let me know if the can light works?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow, house burning down, problem solved. Just kidding!
I will call, have to be somewhere. Saga continues.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, no problem. Just reply back to me when you have an opportunity.

In the meantime, have a good evening..........Thanks.........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)