ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a house that is pre wired, and all my outlets running

Customer Question

I have a house that is pre wired for Ethernet, and all my outlets running through the router show they are running at gigabit speed except one, is there a reason and one I can fix?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

There could be a number of reasons some that you can or may have already chcked, some that would require a network analyzer (a test instrument ) to determine.

If you have checked the obvious, connectionson both ends, proper color at each terminal etc, the only other problems that you may be able to identify without an instrument are tight wire bends and a staple or nail through the cable. Even if you had an instrument at your disposal it may tell you to replace the run which is most likely the only cure passed all of the obvious. Additionally, the wire could have been pulled too tight as it was being installed which could have damaged the cable. It only takes very little damage to affect the cable at these high speeds.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the ends are right and I don't see any obvious line trauma. The one line that is troublesome if being run into a Ethernet switch to provide hardline to multiple devices, would that cause the bandwidth to degrade that much? Beyond all those would this test be something I hired the installing electricians to come perform and advance with their help?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the multiple lines can have an adverse effect on the speed

One method you can use to test the cable without an analyzer is to disconnect all but one of those lines and run a speed test (www.speedtest.net) on the single cable. This would tell you if the cable has issues or if it is the multiple lines that are dragging it down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok good to know I'll give that a go and see what comes of it. Outside of that being my issue my next course of action would be bringing in outside help?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

If the test yields negative results (low speed with only one connection) the next course of action is replacing the cable. If you do not have tools to terminate the new cable, this would call for outside help.