Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My daughters apt outlet in an unused wall outlet caught

Customer Question

my daughters apt outlet in an unused wall outlet caught fire. when the building had an inspector said it needed to be repaired/replaced? when the landlord was notified he sent the maintenance guy to do it. the repair solution was moving above the outlet and put in a new outlet box and plug and patched the one that caught fire the night before.? used the same wires that caught fire?shouldnt they have replaced the wires leading from the breker?or shouldnt an building expert inspect it before and after?since the plug wasnt in used when it sparked up?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) All depends on the type of wire and wire size installed from the breaker extending out to the receptacle. If the wire size and type were code complaint and only small burnt section of the wire insulation at the receptacle, then re-wiring the entire circuit is not necessary.

2) All electrical projects are recommended to be inspected, especially one that caught fire. Unfortunately, about the only electrical jobs that get inspected are usually new construction type of projects.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)