Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I installed a new light fixture black to black. to. Ground

Customer Question

Customer: I installed a new light fixture black to black. White to white. Ground to ground. As soon as I flip the switch the breaker trips. What am I doing wrong?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I removed an old light fixture and only had clear spliced wires. This light fixture is clearly black, white, and ground wire. The wires from the electrical box are black, white, and copper. No wires are touching. Everything is connected with wire nuts. But when i flip the switch the breaker trips immediately.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many total house wires at the box and the wire colors?

2) Any groups of black or white house wires that are spliced together at the box?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are 3 wires. Black, white, and the copper ground wire. No wires are spliced together. The wires on the
light fixture are black, white, and silver ground wire.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

OK, thanks for the replies.

1) Not sure why the breaker is tripping unless there is an internal short within the lighting fixture.

2) Do you have an AC voltmeter available to confirm that the black wire is switching ON & OFF under a "no load" condition? In order to confirm this, the light fixture wires will need to be disconnected. We need to confirm if the breaker still trips under a "no load" condition. A voltmeter can confirm if the ceiling black wire is switching correctly.

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks...............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Thanks............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Thanks...............Kevin:)