Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Electrican 6+ years
91004775

Flourescent lights not allowing radio to work and I want to

Customer Question

Customer: flourescent lights not allowing radio to work and I want to boost cell phone signal in a metal pole shed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: radio works fine until i turn on the lights i have a large metal shed on hill that gets good reception, but inside of shed i have a farm office and would like to get the 4g signal in it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i can and i would pay if the answer could get me to products needed to solve it
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking for specific solutions and or products that will solve these 2 issues. I am not interested in gadgets that will not solve the problem if in fact it can't be solved
Expert:  Wayne Roberts replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i would love to help you with this issue. This signal booster should help you with the 4G.

As far as the FM signal goes, you could try extending the antenna off the radio with a piece of wire and connect to the metal pole building or run outside of the building and up the wall..the higher the better. The lights actually broadcast a signal, they are not "blocking" the signal from the station just overpowering. Keep that in mind when reorienting the antenna.

Another option is to get a better radio with a more precision FM tuner, generally the more money you spend on a radio the better. Or, you could try putting radio frequency dampeners on each light (will require rewiring) with limited results.

You also could replace the florescent lights with LED < recommended